Tuesday 25 June 2013

IELTS

Cloud Nine, anybody?

The new month's certainly started off well enough.


My motto had always been to keep expectations low so I could end up doing better than I expected. But this time I did pretty well, with an overall 8.5 and 7+ in all the bands. Best of all, I got a perfect score in my reading, though writing was 7.5 (when I secretly expected an 8+) and I scored 8.5 in both speaking and listening.

So this means that I have cleared one part of the skilled migration requirements and can go ahead with my occupational assessment, with English language testing off my worry list, thogh a better pic wouldn't have been the worst thing I could do.



Its been difficult gathering the course outlines of all the subjects I took at the various universities in different parts of the world, though I had some help from my cousin in the UAE who arranged for all my docs on that front.

I still haven't decided completely which assessment body to lodge my case with as this needs more analysis.

Most importantly, I'm just not getting down to my studies and the stress level is rising fast.

Hats Off...

It was good that I made a fuss about having to send in my photographs without a cap. Sara from the IELTS administration just called in to say that she took another look at my pic and has approved it for dispatching the results.

That's after I talked to a very professional and courteous lady in the British Council with immaculately refined speaking skills in both native-Brit and khalis Urdu - Sadia But, managing the British Council information center.

She called back a few minutes after I made contact on the toll free number and told them that I was intending to send them the bill along with my photographs.

Sadia promised me that she would get down to it and that she was quite sure that it wasn't prejudiced, when I explained to her that I had said "thank you very much but I'll keep it on" to the nice test administrator who had advised me to take off my cap before going in for my speaking interview. After all, the cap (topi) is an integral part of my religious and cultural identity, as important to me as my self-respect.

Now all I have to worry about is the actual test result and the overcharged cap-less photographs on my table. I just pray that it's Rs. 200 and not 12,200 that's been wasted this time around (plus Rs. 10,000 on the previous test).

I said it all

No, I'm not losing my religion, as much as you'd imagine from my previous post (I said too much, I said it all...). And I'm not so big on REM either, except for this very sticky song.

Well, I lost at least five listening questions to my lack of concentration and love for drifting thoughts. The reading was sharp, and I finished my writing just in time, going over each task and finishing satisfactorily.

My preparation was a little half-baked, as I did not do an all-important practice test beforehand and this cost me quite a few on the listening as I still hadn't oriented myself properly to pay attention. However, watching 'Australia' with my folks over the last two nights paid off as I could easily make out that Australian accent in one of the clips, though I still missed one in that section while I was gloating.

This Ramadan's tasbeeh and ziarat of Bhaiji Bhai probably had a lot to do in taking me through this paper (as usual, I was fretting like a nervous cow). But I still can't be sure I'll make it.

Now I just have to send in two photographs without a cap, since they decided that they needed to add in that requirement for me in addition to all the other instructions. I'll probably send them a bill for the photo shoot as well, since this was not mentioned previously.

Pay attention, not registration fees

So unless I'm really starting to enjoy testing again and again to show them I'm at least as good as I really am, I need to pay attention.

Listening

1 - Scan the questions and calculate what kind of answers you need to listen for. (Is it an address? Is it a word or a number? Is it a noun, verb or adjective? etc.)


2 - Listen carefully for the answers


Reading

1 - Scan the questions
2 - Read the text as past as possible. Make sense of the passage, the overall theme and perhaps jot down the topic of each paragraph, but try not to indulge too much or re-read. Skimming text by reading over two or three words is better than reading each word separately.
3 - Answer the questions by referring back to the relevant text section in each case. Do not answer any questions from your own inference without making sure that it is exactly what is included in the text, nothing more nothing less.
4 - Leave any difficult questions and move on. Try to attempt the maximum number of marks, even if it means guessing.

Writing Task 1

1 - Take good stock of the picture for about 2-3 minutes and make mental notes about what you notice
2 - Start writing as much as you can and try to finish by 10-12 minutes. As a rough guide, 18-20 lines is appropriate, while anything above 21 lines is wasteful
3 - Read for corrections at least once

Writing Task 2

1 - Phrase the question using direct, explicit language (not cusswords) so you are answering the question only and do not end up going off tangent
2 - Don't spend too much time planning, just make a mental plan to where you will head and jot down a few keywords to jog memory
3 - Start writing and take up over 40 lines, using 25-30 minutes only
4 - Re-read and edit

Writing Tips

1 - Use formal, academic style language
2 - Do not use short forms such as don't
3 - Use a range of vocabulary and sentence structures
4 - Be very clear and specific, focusing on answering the question only

I said too much

Well, a hop and jump later, here I am, wondering.

Once again, I was a stammering fool (or half) when I was asked the same two questions I should have anticipated in the speaking test and been able to prepare better for: 'what do you do?' and 'is it easy to find a job in you country?'.

And as for my two-minute 'something that broke or stopped working and what you did', I had no idea of how much time had elapsed so I was left wandering and digressing scared I wouldn't be able to take up all of my two minutes like last time and only got so far. I left out all the juicy funny parts and wasn't able to keep purely to the topic.

However, my responses in the last part were so interesting for the interviewer that she even continued the conversation long after she stopped recording.

Unlike the dimly lit sleepy hotel room in my last interview, this was in a classroom right past the dungeon keeper and barricaded locker rooms. Also, the interviewer was lively and responsive, simulating a real conversation, rather than a human recording machine.

So all in all, God's good grace will get me at least the 7 band and/ or pretty much what I got last time.

God forbid I have to go through the motions again, just a little practice in introducing myself and talking shop or about the economy as well as talking about a topic with specific objectives for exactly two minutes, ensuring there are a bunch of heavy words and idiomatic phrases and expressions thrown in should be in order, after refreshing a word list and list of idioms. And just one practice interview, with my mother or wife or even my son's toy cars to open myself up for the larger cut should be the right formula for preparation, no more, no less.

What can I say?

Well, the day of the speaking test has finally arrived, one day before the written.

Having gone through the British Council website and judging from my past experience, walking in for the interview with a clear, focused mindset is a pretty good idea.

This is my strategy to get a good score (as good as last time or better):

1. Be relaxed and natural, but also confident, upbeat and super-interested in conversing with the interviewer
2. Remember not to simply reach the interviewers level of communication, but to exceed it- articulating thoughts skillfully as well as dripping lexicon and idiomatic phrases all over the place.

A good way to do this would probably be to imagine that I'm an expert on Wall Street that has been approached by only the most glorious news channel for a short fifteen minute radio interview. The topic could be anything, so I need to communicate as much information as richly as possible, especially in my 2-minute monologue and in the ensuing conversation.

Of course, repetition and hesitation are out of the question. Incomprehensibility is a shame. And pronunciation is Wall Street, don't forget. Smart, expert, brainy, crystalline, with the kind of pitch that you want to listen to and learn something from. Also versatile and flexible, swinging from one sentence structure to another, tarzan--like, and using all the tenses in the English Language, or at least as many as you can manage.

Oh my God. I just realized I probably needed more practice sounding like that, recording my voice and such and fitting in big words and idioms into my conversation. Heck, this reminds me of a popular place that I used to like (though I should never digress this way during the interview) - Thank God Its Friday.

And one more thing - SPONTANEITY IS KEY

Since I already have practice talking on the phone with my friends and cousins in the US and Canada - I guess I can manage sounding like I'm on air.

Okay, now ten minutes before leaving, here's the final list of do's and don'ts:

DO

- Be polite, courteous and conversant
- Feel like you're having a radio interview
- Make rich conversation and thoroughly enjoy it

DON'T

- Dry up on words or take time checks, just keep going on
- Have conversation that's not part of the test

So now there's help...

Unlike the last time I sat the IELTS, now there are online resources that prepare candidates for the test.

I received an email from the IELTS around six days to a week after submitting the application at the branch.

It reads:

Dear TAAHA ABDUL LATIF

Thank you for registering for IELTS with The British Council.

Please note that we have received your application form and payment slip. Your registration status is confirmed now.

Following are your test details:

Customer Reference Number : ommitted -

Name : TAAHA ABDUL LATIF

Test Date : 25 Sep 2010

Test Centre : KARACHI

Test Module : AC

Date of Birth : 1981-01-09

Gender : Male

Passport/CNIC No : - ommitted -

Payment Date : 2010-09-15


Your Correspondence Address : - ommitted -

You will receive your venue letter 4-7 days before test. You will also receive your IELTS test details on your mobile phone 2-3 days before the test date. In case you do not receive your test details, alternately check them on our website: pakistan.ielts.britishcouncil.org

Please login at above link to get access on Road to IELTS, a free online preparation course providing practice in all four modules of the IELTS test.


If you need any assistance, please write to our Information Centre team at info@britishcouncil.org.pk or call us Toll free on 0800 22000:

Yours sincerely


IELTS Administrator
British Council
C/o British Deputy High Commission
Shahrah-e-Iran, Clifton
PO Box 13811, Karachi, Pakistan
T +92 (0)21 111 424 424
F +92 (0)21 111 425 425



The website has pretty much everything needed to prepare for the test in the IELTS preparation page, while the mentioned Road to IELTS also has at least a whole day's worth of preparation with reference to three different modes that orient you towards topical areas of health, business and society.

Registration and payment is also now online for the test so no more handwritten applications being sent in from the branch.

Also I need to check the test details that will be available 2-3 days before the test date.


The latest update is that I just received my Test notification by post, dated as of yesterday -exactly one week following the submission of my application, informing me of the test venue and time, as well as a transparent pencil case with all the stationery I need for the exam (pen, pencil, sharpener and eraser) and an Information for Candidates booklet with information regarding the test format.

The speaking test is one day before the written test at 12:55 with 20 minutes prior reporting time and the venue is St. Michael's Convent School. I'll probably go in my Friday clothes as the test is just around prayer time and I may just be able to join in once I've given the interview.

The written test is on the day that I scheduled for at the same venue as last time (Regent Plaza Hotel) at 1 p.m., with reporting time 45 minutes earlier at 12:15.

The notice also reminds me to bring in my original identification provided in the registration form and strictly adhere to the stated timings.

Mobile phones and anything other than the required stationery in a clear plastic bag and a noiseless clock are prohibited inside the examination hall.

It will be a good idea to memorize relevant codes for the exams to ensure that form-filling between sections is not problematic (last time I almost wrote the wrong candidate ID on my written test). This includes the test center (PK010 British Council Karachi) and my six digit candidate number (00 22 84) {Hmm, 2+2 is 4, which is the last digit, and all of these numbers added together is 8, which precedes the last digit 4}.

Given the current state of affairs in the city, it will not be surprising if there are any changes to these test details, as the British Council reserves the right to make amendments or changes as necessary without prior notice.

No cusswords, please (All you need to know about taking the IELTS in Karachi)

Contrary to what I had in mind, IELTS did not become history as early as I would have liked.

I still have to deal with clearing the English Language requirements because for all my linguistic brilliance, I messed up in the writing section last time - falling short of the word limit in the second part of the test, having taken up most of my time in the first task.

This was very reckless and irresponsible because:

1. IELTS information material clearly stated that falling short of the word limit in the writing section would be a costly mistake.

2. My exam strategy couldn't have been any worse - the second part of the test was worthtwice the marks than the first part, but I managed to allocate only half as much time as I took in the first part.

Falling short by half a band in this section means that I have to go through the whole process and empty my pockets once again.

However, some consolation comes from the fact that my targeted accounting body for migration assessment (ICAA) does not accept the General Training test, so I would have had to either take the Academic test anyway or have my assessment processed through another accounting body.

And its not a case of not having done my homework either - the IELTS only became part of the assessment criteria this July, so its more a case of hit and miss.

So lets go through this once more, now with more documentation and planning.


Information sources

Links to all relevant information is available on http://www.britishcouncil.org/pakistan-exams-ielts-forms.htm

Additional information regarding refunds, transfers etc. is provided in the Notice to Candidates enclosed with the IELTS application form.

The IELTS information sheet contains most of the information you need from pre-test information and registration up to post-test information relevant to registration from Pakistan.

The IELTS Information for Candidates Booklet contains information regarding the test format and important notes. At the very least, you should read through this document thoroughly to prepare for the test.


1- Planning and logistics

Dates of the examinations for all cities in Pakistan are listed onhttp://www.britishcouncil.org/pakistan-exams-ielts-calendar.htm

Candidates reporting time is 1215 hours (PST) and test start time is 1300 hours (PST). Candidates who arrive late (after 1300 hours) admitted inside the examination hall.

Applications are processed within 10 working days. However, I remember receiving an Acknowledgment Letter by email within a few days of submitting the application.

Venue details for the Listening, Reading, Writing & Speaking test are dispatched one week before the test date, though this always happens to be in the same place, i.e. theCrown Plaza Hotel on Share-e-Faisal. Speaking interviews are normally scheduled within one week before or one week after the written test date.

IELTS applicants are also registered on first-come first-serve basis. In case of non-availability of applicant’s first preferred test date, the next available date is offered.

Last time I found out that I had scheduled the test on a major religious event. Not only was I fasting (though I had been fasting all month, so that's okay), I was also a little guilty that I was missing out on the Yaum Al Mabbas prayers and Das Surat tilawat.

2 - Registration

A. Fill out the form available from http://www.britishcouncil.org/pakistan-ielts-application-form-2.pdf

B. Attach two recent colored passport size photographs (without eye glasses) and a photocopy of ID (i.e. NIC or passport, keeping in mind you will need to present the original ID at the test center)

C. Visit the nearest Standard Chartered Bank Branch to make your payment (currently Rs. 12,000 since July 2010). Branches listed are Teen Talwar, Hillpark, University road, F.B. Area Block 06 & D.H.A Phase VI, though Clifton Teen Talwar branch is the only most popular and/ or operational branch with staff who knows what you're talking about when you mention British Council deposit slips.

You can order the specimen pack by enclosing the payment for the specimen pack for Rs. 975/- and you will receive within a few days.

3 - About the Exam and guide to preparation

The written exam has three components - Listening (30 minutes), Reading (60 minutes) and Writing (60 minutes) - and a 15-minute speaking test scheduled a few days before or after.

IELTS Listening and Reading papers contain 40 items and each correct item is awarded one mark; the maximum raw score a candidate can achieve on a paper is 40. Band scores ranging from Band 1 to Band 9 are awarded to candidates on the basis of their raw scores.

The specimen pack has a practice test with a CD and some reading material to help understand how the test is scored.

Official sample reading/ writing test are available from www.ielts.org website on this page.

Additionally, www.ielts-exam.net is one website that has plenty of practice material (though it is peppered with monetized links).

http://www.interface.edu.pk/tests/ielts/tips.asp provides an approach that you can follow for each section of the exam.

More useful tips, particularly about exam strategy are available on http://www.ielts-exam.net/ielts-facts.htm 


Listening:

Taking a practice test is probably the best way to prepare.

A wide range of listening skills is assessed, including

> understanding of main ideas and specific factual information;
> recognising opinions, attitudes and purpose of a speaker;
> following the development of an argument

Section 1 is a conversation between two people set in an everyday social context (e.g. a conversation in an accommodation agency)

Section 2 is a monologue set in an everyday social context (e.g. a speech about local facilities or a talk about the arrangements for meals during a conference)

Section 3 is a conversation between up to four people set in an educational or training context (e.g. a university tutor and a student discussing an assignment, or a group of students planning a research project)

Section 4 is a monologue on an academic subject (e.g. a university lecture)

Each section is heard once only. A variety of voices and native-speaker accents is used

Some practice material is available on the internet. You can find websites such as this oneto practice the listening test.


Reading


Texts for the Academic Reading test are taken from books, journals, magazines and newspapers. A variety of question types is used including multiple choice, identifying information, identifying writer's views, matching information, sentence completion, flow-chart completion, diagram label completion, short answer questions and more.

Samples of different types of reading test questions are available from the IELTS website on this page. It may be worthwhile to spend an hour or so going through the sample questions on the page.


Writing


The Academic Writing has two writing tasks. The first writing task of 150 words asks you to describe a graph or chart. The second writing task of 250 words is an essay written in formal language.

Since one hour is available for the first task and the second is worth twice the first part, you should spend 10-15 minutes on the first task and about 30-35 minutes on the second task, with 10-15 minutes for editing and checking.

Examiners award a band score for each of four criterion areas: Task Achievement (for Task 1), Task Response (for Task 2), Coherence and Cohesion, Lexical Resource and Grammatical Range and Accuracy. The four criteria are equally weighted.

A top score has the following writing band descriptors, as detailed in information is available on this page:

Task Achievement (for Task 1): fully satisfies all the requirements of the task and clearly presents a fully developed response

Task Response (for Task 2): fully addresses all parts of the task & presents a fully developed position in answer to the question with relevant, fully extended and well supported ideas

Coherence & Cohesion: uses cohesion in such a way that it attracts no attention and skilfully manages paragraphing

Lexical Resource: uses a wide range of vocabulary with very natural and sophisticated control of lexical features; rare minor errors occur only as ‘slips’

Grammatical Range and Accuracy: uses a wide range of structures with full flexibility and accuracy; rare minor errors occur only as ‘slips’

This page has a number of Academic Writing Task 1s to practice on, with sample answers.This page has has a number of Academic Writing Task 2s for practice.


Speaking


Examiners award a band score for each of four criterion areas: Fluency and Coherence, Lexical Resource, Grammatical Range and Accuracy and Pronunciation. The four criteria are equally weighted. Every attempt should be made to showcase these criterion during the interview.

A top score has the following writing band descriptors, as detailed in information is available on the page mentioned:

Fluency and coherence: 

• speaks fluently with only rare repetition or self-correction; any hesitation is content-related rather than to find words or grammar
• speaks coherently with fully appropriate cohesive features
• develops topics fully and appropriately

Lexical resource: 

• uses vocabulary with full flexibility and precision in all topics
• uses idiomatic language naturally and accurately

Grammatical range and accuracy:

• uses a full range of structures naturally and appropriately
• produces consistently accurate structures apart from ‘slips’ characteristic of native speaker speech

Pronunciation:

• uses a full range of pronunciation features with precision and subtlety
• sustains flexible use of features throughout
• is effortless to understand


4 - Exam Strategy 

While at least a 7-band score does not require particularly sharp communication skills, effective time management is critical in order to make the best possible attempt.

Bringing a (no-sound) clock or watch is a good idea as last time I had to have the staff arrange for a wall clock to be able to monitor the time.

Also, a little effort can contribute to better testing conditions with fewer distractions, such as memorizing your candidate number that you will be asked to write on each section's answer papers. Bringing some pep-up sugar candies was a good idea in the CIMA exams and could be useful here too.


This page has some useful information regarding exam strategy for each section, given below:

Listening:

1 Use the example at the beginning of the first section to familiarize yourself with the sound, the situation, and the speakers.

2 Keep listening until the recording stops, looking only at the questions that relate to the part being played.

3 There are often pauses in the recording between different sections. Use these to prepare for the next set of questions.

4 Answer Listening questions in the order they appear on the Question Paper. Remember that they normally follow the order of the information in the recording.

5 At the end of the recording you have some time to transfer your answers to the Answer Sheet. Check your grammar and spelling as you do so

Reading

For Reading passages, don’t waste time reading, enjoying, and completely understanding the passage. Simply scan the passage to get a rough idea of what it is about. You will return to the passage for each question, so there is no need to memorize it. Only spend as much time scanning as is necessary to get a vague impression of its overall subject content.

6 In Academic Reading, begin by going quickly through each passage to identify features such as the topic, the style, the likely source, the writer’s purpose and the intended reader.

7 As you read, don’t try to understand the precise meaning of every word or phrase. You don’t have time, and those parts of the text might not be tested anyway.

8 Reading tasks sometimes have an example answer. If this is the case, study it and decide why it is correct.

9 Some tasks require you to use words from the text in the answer; in others you should use your own words. Check the instructions carefully.

10 The instructions may also include a word limit, e.g. Use no more than three words. Keep to this by avoiding unnecessary words in your answer.

Writing:

11
 In Academic Writing, you must always keep to the topic set. Never try to prepare sections of text before the exam.

12 Keep to the suggested timing: there are more marks possible for Task 2 than Task 1.

13 Organize and link your ideas and sentences appropriately, using a wide range of language and showing your ability (in Task 2) to discuss ideas and express opinions.

14 If you write less than 150 words in Task 1 or less than 250 in Task 2 you will lose marks, but there is no maximum number of words for either.

15 When you plan your essay, allow plenty of time at the end to check your work.

Speaking

16 In Speaking, don’t try to give a prepared speech, or talk about a different topic from the one you are asked to discuss.

17 Always speak directly to the Examiner, not to the recording equipment.

18 Whenever you reply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to the Examiner’s questions, add more details to your answer. In each case, aim to explain at least one point.

19 Remember that you are not being tested on your general knowledge but on your ability to communicate effectively.

20 Organize and link your ideas and sentences appropriately, talking clearly at normal speed and using a wide range of structures and vocabulary.


Having taken almost a week on this blog post, I think I am now ready to schedule the next exam (about 3 weeks away).

Considering that my last score in the June 26, 2010 test administered by British Council, Karachi PK010 (Candidate no. 001031) was 7.5 listening, 7.0 reading, 6.5 writing and 8.0 speaking, I need to concentrate on my writing and reading more than oral communication.

Hopefully the scoring on the Academic test will be more favorable (as the questions tend to be tougher but fewer points can fetch the same score), but that's not something I can depend on.


More than anything else, I need to do a number of writing tasks to ensure:

1. That I can meet or exceed the word limit within the scheduled time
2. That I can achieve the characteristics of a high band score with reference to the band descriptors mentioned above
3. That I am able to produce appropriate content with good composition, spelling and grammar in my written communication

Secondly, I need to go through the links mentioned in the Reading preparation section so that I am familiar with all the different question types.

Thirdly, I could get some listening practice, but I will leave this as optional.

Most importantly, I need to take the sample test enclosed in the specimen pack and pour over its contents.

Finally, paying close attention to the band descriptors will be useful just before the speaking test.

Once I've tested I can focus on the more challenging CIMA management level exams.


The timing of the results will allow me to hopefully lodge my application for immigration with a few days to spare for my 30th birthday :- If I test on the 25th of this month and my result sheet comes out within the expected time, then I can lodge my application for assessment with ICAA or any other accounting body so that the processing time of six to eight weeks falls somewhere in the end of November 2010 (around the same time as my CIMA exams).

This will give me about a month to finalize my application for immigration and send the documents before January 9, 2011.

Passing Failiures

Sweat, blood and tears are good. Then maybe you can just pass on those CIMA papers like I did (I shudder to think about the bucketfuls due for November at the Management Level, and beyond). I am grateful to the Lord and to all the people whose prayers pulled me through.

On the other hand, life just isn't effortless any more. I know I don't always dot my is' and cross my ts' but I missed out on the minimum 7 band IELTS requirement in the writing section. Which means another Rs. 10k (or is it 12k already?) and unnecessary delays. I guess this time around I'll have to sit down and do some 'practice' - or at least one blog dedicated to IELTS exam strategy, because that's where I messed up.

'Unnecessary delays' is right because I just had a virtual classical Homer Simpson 'doh moment while going through the assessment criteria for immigration. Turns out I could have been in Australia already (yeah right), if I had applied just a few months earlier, i.e. pre July 2010 criteria, which was pretty much the same except for the IELTS requirement (I'm guessing).

But new immigration rules have come up which are both better (less number of applicants and processing time) and worse (more difficult to pass).

Turns out that the New Australian SOL (Skilled Occupation List) is indeed friendly to management accountants and accountants in general, as well as ICT business analysts.

Now that's not surprising, as I had been blogging about these two occupations before.

However, assessing authorities have an important update, which may or may not be any different from the previous case, and if so, something I failed to comprehend previously.

From 1 July 2010 the criteria for General Skills Migration is:
1.            A score of at least seven (7) on each of the four (4) components - speaking, reading, listening and writing on the IELTS academic training. (General training will not be accepted by CPA Australia, as stated in their FAQ page, while Academic training has not been explicitly excluded from any assessing authority)
2.            A formal qualification assessed as being at least comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree
3.            Completion of at least 9 out of the 12 core knowledge areas at tertiary level.
My US Bachelor's degree is very likely to meet the criteria for a formal qualification assessed as being at least comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree.

The 12 core knowledge areas are as

Compulsory knowledge areas:
1.            Accounting Systems and Processes
2.            Corp Accounting & Reporting (Financial Accounting)
3.            Accounting Theory, Professional & regulatory processes
4.            Cost & Management Accounting

Optional areas (any five):
1.            Finance
2.            Auditing & Assurance
3.            Legal Framework & Commercial Law
4.            Corporations/ Company Law
5.            Taxation Law
6.            Information Systems Design and Development
7.            Economics
8.            Quantitative Methods

In determining the status of the degree qualification, assessing authorities mainly use the guidelines published in the relevant AEI-NOOSR country education profile, as stated in the CPA FAQ here.

Unfortunately, access to the relevant country education profile is a subscribed service so I can't verify for myself whether I qualify or not.


However, unless I am a CIMA member (i.e. fully qualified, and at least more than one fast, hectic hellishly stressful year away), then I won't be applying as a member of an overseas accounting body, as I was pinning my hopes on previously.

The appropriate method would be to use my US Bachelor's degree and other qualifications to apply, demonstrating knowledge of the core business areas. At worst, I will still be on my way to qualifying CIMA even with a negative assessment for migration purposes, and there should be no stopping me once I am fully qualified.


The assessing authorities and their documentary requirements are listed below:

ICAA: https://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/A122565522
NIA: http://www.nia.org.au/immigration/alert-assessment-changes
CPA: http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/cpa-site/hs.xsl/become-how-migration.html


The application process for each of the assessing authorities is given below:


CPA:

This page provides information about the online application process for migration purposes, and a login page to check the status of the application.

The FAQ page lists the processing fee at $350 AUD.

In case my assessment result tells me that I must complete further studies, CPA updates for migration purposes are provided at no extra cost for the two-year validity period of the initial assessment, as stated on the FAQ page.

There are then two options: complete studies via the CPA Program foundation level or via accredited courses offered by other higher education providers. If I go through CPA Program’s foundation level, I will need to first apply for a Membership Entry Pathway Assessment, which costs an additional $138. Once this has been completed, I will be able to enroll into the foundation level exams.

Also, Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) is a recognized professional accounting qualification for CPA, as listed on their professional accounting qualifications page, in contrast to other bodies such as the ICAA which only partly-recognize it.

I may need to keep this in mind when I demonstrate completion of core knowledge areas through my studies with CIMA.


ICAA:

The Uni or tertiary qualified process is the way to go, which involves downloading and sending a form with documents. An acknowledgment email will include instructions on how to access the the Institute's secure website to check the status of the application.

Fees are AUD $350 for normal processing and $395 for fast processing within half the advertised time, as listed on the Fees and Processing page. The assessment for migration also includes simultaneous assessment for entry into the ICAA program and other information concerning the accountancy profession in Australia, as per the information on this page.

The Institute struck me as the most impressive and professional of the three assessing authorities, particularly in responding to my emails. The TAT for each email took no longer than one working day, whereas the CPA took more than that and the NIA never responded, even with an automated message. Information on the website was also a lot easier to find and generally had a more professional appeal. Their clearly stated policies were also easier to disambiguate for clarity.

Further, the ICAA is a member of the Global Accounting Alliance, which represents over 775,000 professional accountants in over 165 countries from around the globe, and seems much more substantial concerning international recognition than the other two bodies.

However, the Institute only partly recognizes CIMA, UK, though this does not really make any difference, except for the wordings as far as I can see.


NIA:

The How to Apply page involves downloading and filling a form and sending it with my documents, which will be assessed and advised.

Cost of assessment for GSM is $350, and a re-assessment fee of AUD $150 will apply on any subsequent reassessments within 12 months.



Finally, following the research, the plan of action is thus:
1.            Select which accounting body will make the assessment. For the reasons identified above, the ICAA seems to be my best choice.
2.            Fill the form and get all my documents together
3.            Register for the next IELTS Academic Test
4.            Practice and prepare for the IELTS test to make sure I meet the minimum 7-7-7-7 requirement
5.            Send in my documents for assessment together with the AUD $350 fee (which may mean I may have to skip the November exams to meet my budget)

Mind your language

With constant changes to the Skilled migration, you can never be sure what's just around the corner.

But language has always been important - no doubts about that.

IELTS is the way to go.

There's an application form and calendar and instructions for folks in Pakistan onhttp://www.britishcouncil.org/pakistan-exams-ielts.htm

It's pretty expensive, and more so from July.

So this is the next thing on my 'To do' list, as it seems to be the right time.

I'll be losing 5 points in another 6 months when I turn thirty, so I guess I need to expedite matters and have my arsenal of certifications and verifications ready.

From now on, I really need to mind my language.


17 comments:

  1. Skills in IELTS is very important for pass this test

    IELTS Speaking Test

    ReplyDelete
  2. IELTS Academic Writing section is very important for overall IELTS Score, You can improve your Academic IELTS writing through tips and practice.

    IELTS Academic Writing Tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. IELTS is an exam designed for people of any level to take. It gives a result which does not show a pass/fail according to a certain standard, but rather shows your current level in different areas


    ielts vocabulary

    ReplyDelete
  4. After attemting for my IELTS five times I had to get professional help and nothing like enrolling in Insearch I had an amazing support team that helped me clear and achieve my required target.

    IELTS Speaking

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get amazing assist from professional team while I enroll in IELTS Exam and get clear my concepts achieve my target.

    How to get good score in IELTS in 10 days

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice article here, i think that people who have grown up with the idea of using computers are showing more responsibility towards writing posts that are thoughtful, do not have grammar mistakes and pertinent to the post..
    IELTS Coaching in Chennai
    IELTS Training in Chennai
    IELTS Coaching Centre in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful bloggers like yourself who would positively reply encouraged me to be more open and engaging in commenting.So know it's helpful.
    IELTS Coaching Centre in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best professional Institute for Pearson Test of English Pearson PTE Pakistan under supervision of highly skilled teachers and trainers.

    ReplyDelete

  9. We Offer the IELTS & TOEFL Preparation Program in Pakistan , Under the British Council UK. Spoken English Program . English Language Course (ELC) Short
    IELTS preparation Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.icd.org.pk
    ICD is professional institute for IELTS course Preparation centre in Pakistan with cheap fee packages and highly skilled environment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent idea!!! I really enjoy to read your post and I like it. Thank you for put your efforts and I am very inspired with your written style. I like more tips from your post.
    IELTS coaching in Chennai
    IELTS coaching centre in Chennai
    TOEFL Coaching in Chennai
    Japanese Classes in Chennai
    Spoken English Classes in Chennai
    IELTS coaching in Adyar
    IELTS coaching in Porur
    IELTS coaching in Anna Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really awesome blog. Your blog is really useful for me. Thanks for sharing this informative blog.
    Keep update your blog.

    Article submission sites
    Guest posting sites

    ReplyDelete
  13. ATMI TACTICS AT HOME | TIECO TIECO TIECO TIECO TEMPLE
    ATMI black titanium wedding band TACTICS AT HOME. raft titanium TOKYO TACTICS titanium white TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE iron titanium TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE titanium camping cookware TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE TEMPLE

    ReplyDelete